Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Holidays are Here!

I can't believe Christmas is THIS Saturday.  Where does the time go really?  Every year I say I am going to do all my shopping in October, then every year the week of Christmas is here before I even know it, and I still have almost all of my shopping to do.....crazy.  However, even though gifts are a fun part of Christmas, it is important for us to remember the true meaning of Christmas.  Especially with Lizzie getting older,  now is the time to instill those values by setting the right example.  We must keep the focus on Christ, and even though she is young, I am finding it easier than I had anticipated. 

I have a couple of nativity scenes around our home (both given to us by my Grandma Wittmer, thanks G.G.), which was sort of our starting point.  She is very into birthday parties, so I basically tried to explain that His birth was the most important one of all time.  Because she has much experience with a baby born recently (her little bro) she was quick to understand that part.  It was fun for her to think of Jesus as a baby, because that had never occurred to her before.  Besides bdays, she is also VERY into princesses, so my next point was to focus on the fact that He is the King.  She thought that was really cool.

While snowmen, gingerbread houses and Christmas trees are beautiful and fun as well, most little kids tend to think of presents when they think of Christmas.  When I told Lizzie the story of Christ's birth, I explained to her that many gifts were brought to Him.  The way we give gifts today is a symbol of those gifts given to Christ.  (obviously He didn't get a My Little Pony, but it's all relative) Anyway, I just thought I would share this in case anyone who reads my blog is in the same boat :) 

I love Christmas and the whole season of Christmas.  Everyone is in a better mood than usual.  There are beautiful light displays all over the place.  Plus, you are usually with the people you love the most, celebrating the One who loves us ALL!  I am so grateful for Christ's birth and for his righteous example.  I know that as we strive to remember Him in all that we do (not only at Christmas time) we will receive blessings beyond measure.  Merry Christmas!!!!!

No comments: